Thursday, August 30, 2007

I don't wash my hands in the toilet for a reason...


Okay, so yesterday I was reading an article about parents who potty train their babies from birth. Now, while I do not have the time, patience, or energy to follow my babies around waiting for them to "signal" to me that they need to go to the bathroom, I do give the parents who do credit. (Puckey tells me "go potty, mamma" but it's always AFTER she pees...LOL) It seems many are concerned about protecting our environment, which is a good thing. Some parents just don't want to change diapers or have to carry a diaper bag. Still others may even find it charming and cute that their 6 month old can "tell" them when he/she needs to poop. Hey, if you have the time and want to do that, GREAT. Good for you!


BUT....this morning at 6:30am (because I obviously have nothing better to do like SLEEP), I woke up and remembered one part of the article, and I was suddenly deeply disturbed by it. The article interviewed a woman who held her 6 month old over a sink in a public bathroom waiting for it to go pee. So, she was using the sink as a toilet for her baby. Now, it's bad enough that there are some people who don't wash their hands when they use the bathroom. I try to avoid using public restrooms unless absolutely neccessary for this very reason. But for those of us who DO wash our hands, now we need to be aware that some parents let their children pee in the sink that we are going to wash our hands in? UM...GROSS! I do not wash my hands in the toilet for a reason (and if you have to ask, you probably should just stop reading now). I don't think I should be subjected to having to wash my hands where someone may have just peed. I don't care if it's a baby, a grown woman, or my grandma! That's just not right! If a parent wanting to potty train his/her child wants to use their own kitchen or bathroom sink as a urinal, by all means, don't let me stop you. But come on, at least go in the stall in a public restroom. Either that, or carry around some cleaning supplies and wash out the sink with bleach before you leave.

4 comments:

icancarryallthebagsandthebabiestoo said...

Personally, I find the whole thing bizarre. It's hard enough to make the time to nurse a second baby when you have other children, never mind waiting for them to pee. And I'm all for natural parenting. But geesh... There are so many great ways to help the environment and help participate in creating a better world. Holding your newborn with no bladder control over a potty every hour doesn't seem reasonable.

The sink example is just disgusting. I doubt that this is common.

Julie said...

I hope it's not common, but it's hard to say. I don't know what I would do if I were to ever witness someone doing that.

12-arrows said...

I love how passionate you are about certain issues!

Julie said...

I should probably be more passionate about issues of real importance though. *sigh*