Thursday, August 28, 2008

What the heck?

It's either feast or famine around here...I don't post for weeks, now I have a little time on my hands, so you get a double (or possibly triple, if I come up with another idea) dose!!

Okay, now I'm all about deadbeat dads needing to pay their share for the care of their children. I've been divorced for 9 years, and there have been many occasions when money has been an issue. But this story just grabbed my attention, and I am on the verge of actually being angry about it.

Hilary Duff's dad to spend 10 days in Texas jail
2 hours, 40 minutes ago

A judge in Texas has ordered the father of actress and singer Hilary Duff to spend 10 days in jail for contempt of court.
Bob Duff was led away in handcuffs Wednesday during a court hearing after Judge Thomas Stansbury in Houston determined he violated an injunction against selling assets without court approval.


The Houston Chronicle reported in its online edition that Bob Duff must pay into a court repository $367,537 he earned from selling stocks last month.
Bob Duff's attorney Robert Piro said his client would post bond and file an appeal.
Bob and Susan Duff are in the midst of a bitter divorce.


Stansbury determined Bob Duff should pay Susan $12,500 for Hilary's birthday party, which was the subject of the hearing. Her mother wanted $25,000 to pay for a present and party.

Neither Hilary, whose 21st birthday is Sept. 28, nor her sister Haylie were in court.

Now, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me I am not the only one here who sees something wrong with a woman being awarded $12,500 for a birthday party...FOR HER ALMOST 21 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER?? First of all, that amount of money for a birthday party is absolutely ridiculous to begin with. There are families out there who have to live on less for an ENTIRE YEAR. My second issue? HELLO, HILARY DUFF IS TURNING 21! Isn't her father's financial responsibility for her over?

Let's not even get into the fact that Hilary Duff is an actress who has been making a good amount of money for YEARS now...and I'm just guessing here, but I would venture to guess that her mom has "profited" from Hilary's income over the years.

As a mom with a blended family who has to deal with money issues on a fairly regular basis, this just makes me sick to my stomach. No, seriously. I could almost hurl.

3 comments:

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

Do you know how many vanilla pudding smoothlings that would make. You better get to the store and buy the ingredients. I promise you won't regret it. The kiddos will love the refreshing treat too.

12-arrows said...

I hear you loud and clear. It totally infuriates me too. My ire gets up when I hear actors/actresses ask for monitary donations. Come on please. . . .give me a break. Fork over an easy mil of your own, we can't barely pay the bills here, like most of America! Drives me NUTS! Thanks for the soapbox by the way, love it!

Devin said...

Ugh. I'm with you. Hurling over here....

Ugh, ugh.

Ridiculous.